Cheesy Chicken and Broccoli Skillet (adapted from Taste of Home)
- 3 cups of your favorite pasta shape
- 2 cup fresh broccoli florets
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp plus 1 tsp of flour
- 1 1/4 cup of chicken broth
- 1/2 cup of Fat free half n half
- 4 ounces of velveeta light (this is about 1/2 of a small package)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- pinch of red pepper flakes (Optional- gives the dish a nice little kick)
- plenty of salt and pepper (To taste)
- 2 1/2 cup of precooked cubed chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
Heathy Tip: I substituted half and half for one plain greek yogurt, fat free chicken broth, Smart balance rather then regular butter and I used 2 ounces of velveeta rather then 4.
- Cook pasta according to directions, adding broccoli during the last 2 minutes of cooking. I like to do it this way cause it is one less pot you need to dirty!
- In large skillet, melt butter. Combine flour and broth until smooth, add half n half ( I used plain greek yogurt to make it healthier). Bring to a boil and cook and stir for 1 minute until thickened.
- Add velveeta and spices, stir until velveeta is melted.
- Add pasta and broccoli and chicken to sauce, combine until everything is coated and heated through.
- Remove from heat and sprinkle with cheddar cheese. Let stand until cheese is melted.
Tip: Instead of cooking chicken buy a rotisserie chicken have it for dinner the night or two before. Take the leftover chicken and put it in a bowl and use it for this recipe! It is a good way to use leftovers in a new dish!!
I made a yummy arugla salad on the side! yummy!
It is as Simple as 1-2-3!